Sunday, March 11, 2018

YRC Freight Driver Bobby Elrod Reaches Safety Achievement of 5-Million Accident-Free Miles

In his 45-year career with YRC Freight, Bobby Elrod has reached the elite safety milestone of driving five-million consecutive miles without a single accident. The company will recognize his safety record with an event at 10 a.m., on March 6, at its Chattanooga terminal.

In honor of Elrod's achievement, he will be welcomed into the company's five-million miler Driver Hall of Fame. YRC Freight will also donate 50 children's car seats to the Tennessee Highway Patrol--one for every 100,000 miles he has driven without a single accident.

"Bobby is a true professional with a genuine dedication to the safety of the motoring public. Each day he demonstrates self-discipline, constant focus and commitment," says T.J. O'Connor, YRC Freight president. "We are introducing a new trailer wrapped in his honor to showcase his great safety accomplishment. Here at YRC Freight, we couldn't be prouder of his five-million miles driven over four and a half decades without a single accident."

Elrod observed, "I've driven out of Nashville, Knoxville and Chattanooga at different times for the company. I was proud to be the first Smith System instructor in Nashville and train our drivers. I always put safety first. I came from a family of truck drivers--my dad, two uncles, a brother, and a brother-in-law--they were all truck drivers. It's in my blood. I was only nine or ten when my dad passed away. Not that long ago, I went out to the cemetery. I told my dad, ‘I've reached five million miles without an accident, Dad. Can you imagine?' It was a good moment. I've been blessed. I was able to put both my boys through college, and see them graduate without owing a penny. The company has been really good to me and my family."

"To put those miles in perspective, five million miles is like driving to the moon and back over ten times or driving around the equator 200 times--all without a single accident. I tip my safety hat to him, and I send my heartfelt thanks to his family for sharing Bobby with us," says Terry Budimlija, YRC Freight Safety Director.

A resident of Chickamauga, Ga., Elrod averages over 2,000 miles a week. He will be presented with a celebratory watch, die cast YRC Freight truck, plaque and a five-million miles accident-free commemorative jacket at the celebration.

No comments: