Friday, October 12, 2007

Improve safety for U.S. and China


Fair trade, better oversight could stop faulty items and help workers
By Teamsters General President James P. Hoffa

While walking along a Detroit sidewalk last month, a friend's 6-year-old son picked up a small, unremarkable golden locket. He chipped away dirt clumps before reading, "Made in China."

He offered me the locket. I told him I didn't see the words. "Where do you see that?" I asked. He grinned, then exploded with laughter -- he was fooling me.

Like the best jokes, it contained a nugget of truth. My friend's son had been reading for only a year or two, but he'd come across "made in China" enough to know that the phrase is on countless items. The phrase has become a part of American life. Full story here......

No comments: